10 May, 2011

Do You Mind?

<><><>


Paul Valéry
<><>
Quotes About The Mind.


George Orwell said, "There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them."

“Common sense is that layer of prejudice laid down prior to the age of sixteen,” Albert Einstein.

"It is discouraging to try to penetrate a mind like yours. You ought to get it out and dance on it. That would take some of the rigidity out of it,"  Mark Twain.

"Color is my day-long obsession, joy and torment," Claude Monet.

"I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught," Georgia O’Keeffe.

"Never be afraid to sit awhile and think,"  Lorraine Hansberry.


"Sometimes I think and other times I am,"  Paul Valéry.


"You study, you learn, but you guard the original naïveté. It has to be within you, as desire for drink is within the drunkard or love is within the lover," Henri Matisse.


"Art has an enemy called ignorance," Ben Johnson.


"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why," William Faulkner.





Wittgenstein
The Granger Collection, NY

"Imagine someone pointing to the place in the iris of a Rembrandt eye and saying: 'The walls in my room should be painted this color,' "  Ludwig Wittgenstein.








3 comments:

Caroline Peña Bray said...

Brilliant Casey! Thanks for sharing! The Orwell at the top is particularly pertinent to the art world I think.

Mindful Drawing said...

Nice! a post with quotes where mind, art and philosophy collide.
What about this one by Sartre: 'Genius is the way one invents in desperate situations'.

Casey Klahn said...

I agree, Caroline.

Paula, I always say genius is as genius does. I like your comment: mind,art and philosophy collide!

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism