28 March, 2007

Pastel Month Results - The Bunkhouse

The Bunkhouse
6.5" x 8"
Original Pastel
Casey Klahn
$375

This is the first Colorist American Landscape I have done in some time. It's nice to be doing these very free, yet challenging works. I have been wanting to get back to barns and outbuildings, too. I also wanted to get some cropped barn compositions that worked.

Another good feeling is finding a method for working on Townsend Pastel paper. You can really abuse this stuff, and the more the merrier. I did a wash of deep red, then mixed as many contrasts and compliments as it would hold without "filling up", as we say.

Lots of goals coming together!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great Casey! I like a challenge myself. That's why I've started those mini-art cards. Although Someone (who shall remain nameless) told me that I should give up on them. I NEVER GIVE UP ON SOMETHING THOUGH. Huff! Sorry I was venting...lolol
Anyhoo, I love your work Casey! :) *HUGS*

Casey Klahn said...

I, for 1, hope you get all the way to 52 cards. I have a feeling you will!

Robyn Sinclair said...

I love seeking out the colours in these paintings, Casey. Those little flashes of turquoise really make this sing. Also love your Pastel of the Ponte Vecchio over on your 100 site.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Robyn. I discovered that placing compliments non-adjacent still allows them to pop. The high key green(Turquoise)and the reds interact that way. I can't wait to do more of them.
Yes, that old bridge will never get old as an artist's subject. Lorie wants to rent an apartment on it. (Good luck!)

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism